Subject: [Leica] More chain link fence & 280
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 15:46:48 -0700

Through the chain link fence merrily! :-)  using the 280 alone, with 1.4
or 2X and locking them together mounted to the 280.

Just finished screening slides from the baseball game through the chain
link fence and although I had seen very excellent slides shot by number
2 son at the Pan American Games summer '99, I was still skeptical of
what my results would be.

It's quite amazing, the images projected look like I was inside the
fence, the 800 mm was very interesting as the pitcher cleanly separated
from the extremely out of focus background.. The shortest lens I tried
wide open was a 100 macro to see what the effect would be at 2.8, there
didn't appear to be any noticeable  "fence effect" as the images are
crisp, colour saturation looks good. We used 100 SW and some 100 S

A few rolls were pushed one stop (200) to allow for higher shutter
speeds and they are great. So for what it's worth any of you shooting
sports where you can't have access to the playing field just go long
lens, wide open and be there!

One point to keep in mind is,  the farther you are away from the fence
the more likely you'll find the "through the fence effect" showing up
even if you're wide open.  If possible, best position is right against
the fence and the longer the lens the better.

I see no reason why this wouldn't work with an M camera and 135,  even
if you're not looking through the lens as with the SLR, you shouldn't
see the wire no matter where it is, but I'd try to keep the lens right
in the middle of a diamond shaped hole of the fence mesh.

Look at it  this way, if you haven't tried it, now at least you know
where to start. Have some fun.
ted

Replies: Reply from "Isaac Crawford" <isaacc7@home.com> ([Leica] Pictures of Cosina lenses on cameras?)
Reply from Jeff Moore <jbm@oven.com> (Re: [Leica] More chain link fence & 280)