Subject: Re: [Leica] 280mm f/2.8
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 06:46:23 -0700

Harrison McClary wrote:

> > Back when I was shooting Nikon gear I rented a 280 2.8 and shot some
> > test chrome films with both the Nikon and Leica lens.  the test
> > images were of my then wife with our dog.  The dog had black fur.  On
> > the Nikon the fur was black, no detail.   On the Leica there was
> > detail in the fur.  Adding the teleconverter did not degrade the
> > image any that I could discern.<<<<<<<<<<<

Dan Honemann responded:
> Wow, that IS saying a lot.  Many consider the 300/2.8 to be one of the very
> best Nikkors (along with the 180/2.8).<<<<<<<<<<<<

But Dan, the 280 isn't "very best, " it's awesome! ;-)

Hi guys,
Over this past weekend 10 year old grandson was the pitcher in his
Little League baseball tournament.  Won all three games! (thought I'd
throw that in for starters) :-)

How do you photograph the pitcher and get tight close-ups?  In colour?
(bright red shirt.)

Well first of all you start with a 280 2.8 wide open ( lens stays wide
open at all times regardless of focal length change!)  take position
behind fence at home plate.,  "shoot right through the fence!"   Wide
open you don't see the fence.  trust me!

Not bad, but loose.  Get tighter, add 1.4 now 400 mm f4.0. better.
Tighten it a bit more remove 1.4 use 2X,  now it's a 560 mm f5.6.  Much
better, lens still wide open. Crucial when shooting through the fence!

OK let's go for right in your face expressions!

Remove 2X , add 1.4 to lens,  add 2X to 1.4,  add all that to the R8!
Bam, in your face expressions! Using a monopod, motor and concentration
it works.  Yep you lose some, can't do anything about that these kids
are flying fast.  Just stay with it and blow off two, three rolls and
there should be some good ones out of the colour lab this morning.

Remember guys it isn't the amount of film you use, the truth of the
matter is "You only need one really good one to look good!"  And
everyone thinks "you're a bloody marvelous photographer!" ;-)

Just thought you might like to know one of the 280 plus extender
applications.
ted

Replies: Reply from Guy Bennett <guy.bennett@wanadoo.fr> (Re: [Leica] More chain link fences)
Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> ([Leica] More chain link fences)