Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:Nachtwey
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Mon, 26 Jun 2000 16:37:25 -0400

ARTHURWG@aol.com jotted down the following:

> And do you
> really think that one photo, or a thousand, can alter the course of history
> or save even one life?

Alter the course of history:

  * Hindenburg disaster photo (bad Zeppeliner PR -- now we fly by heavier-
    than-air craft)
  * Earth from Moon (environmental conservation awareness and efforts)
  * Mammography (saves lives)

...to mention but three examples.  In fact, I'd argue that EVERY photograph
changes the course of history, by virtue of the fact that they exist and
people see them.  We would act differently without photographs.  The changes
may not be massive, or global, but think of things like:

  * Calling someone because you're browsing old photographs and suddenly
    realize that you haven't spoken in a long while;
  * Giving to charity because you observe the plight of some peoples;
  * Parting with money because you saw an ad for a product (perhaps even
    a photograph) that you wanted;
  * Recognizing a criminal from a mug-shot, leading to his or her arrest.

Perhaps trivial examples, but they all change history.  Just not history for
all people.  But then, very few things do.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     | "Jesus loves you.  Everyone else
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       | thinks you're an asshole, but
email: howard.390@osu.edu         | Jesus loves you."   -- Bumper sticker