Subject: Re: [Leica] 35-70/2.8 out of production ??? commercial point ofview !!!
From: "Tom Schofield" <tdschofield@email.msn.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 16:06:44 -0700

Obviously, the price is the deciding factor with the 180 Summicron, but it
really is a pity that it did not catch on more.

I actually backed into one in a trade deal for an R7, 250 Telyt, 28mm
Elmarit R and $700, with a profit motive in mind.  I discovered that there
is very little market for it, and that I love the darn battleship so much
that every ounce of  it becomes a joy to carry!  And this despite the fact
that my ownership of it cannot possibly be justified by Joe C!

The image quality is absolutely incredible, even with the non-APO 2x, and
the selective focus effects are quite enjoyable.  (Try 1:4 macro at 360mm
f4! -- doesn't matter what you had for a background except for its color!)
Once you get over the forearm soreness after the first couple times out (no
pain no gain, right?), handholding isn't really a problem -- it takes a big
effort to accelerate that mass from rest.  For available light school
activities, etc., I sling it over one shoulder (with neoprene strap), and M6
+ Noctilux over the other  (another lens for which my ownership cannot be
justified by Joe C!).  Now you'd have to pry it out of me cold dead fingers
to get it away from me (back to the Charleton Heston thread!).

Sorry for the long post, but I get emotional over this lens!

Tom Schofield