Subject: RE: [Leica] 35-70/2.8 out of production ??? commercial point of view !!!
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@marketingcomm.com>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 11:39:39 -0500

So would someone kindly explain to me why there is such limited call for the
Leica version of a lens that is a true standard for both the Nikon and Canon
autofocus cameras?...Or am I asking a stupid question, because the reality
is that there is limited call for as expensive a manual focus SLR as the
R8...?
<<<<<<<<<<

Stupid question, no, but I do think you've answered your own
question. There was a post a year or so ago (I'm too lazy to look it
up in the archives at the moment) from someone who had spoken to, as
I recall, an executive at Leica and said fewer than 500 180 f/2.8 APO
lenses had sold worldwide since its introduction. I'd bet the Nikon
and Canon equivalents have sold in the tens of thousands, maybe more.

An unverified report on the LUG awhile back said that one recent year
only 2000 R8s sold. For the year. By comparison, a check of serial
numbers suggests Nikon is selling over 10,000 F100s a month.

Recent incentives in Europe have probably improved R sales since
those reports were posted. But the reality is, despite its quality
and its virtues championed by users on this list, there appears to
have been little demand in recent years for the R system, especially
when compared to other SLR systems.

Larry

Replies: Reply from Akhil Lal <akhil.lal@bcc.cuny.edu> (Re: [Leica] 35-70/2.8 out of production ??? commercial point ofview !!!)
Reply from Wilber Jeffcoat <jeffcoatphoto@sumter.net> (Re: [Leica] 35-70/2.8 out of production ??? commercial point ofview !!!)