Subject: Re: RE: [Leica] f/8 and be there
From: John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 02:29:28 -0400

I'm 46, and when I was 14 I used a Retina with shoe mount flash holder.  I
couldn't afford a "strobe", so it was M2 bulbs.  For some reason they
didn't always make good contact in the holder, so I would lick the base
before inserting and this seemed to do the trick.  I wonder if this was
common practice?  It was bound to be unhealthy.  After the shot, I would
pop the bulb out and do the hot potato bounce in the hand trick whilst it
cooled enough to put in my pocket, then lick and load again.

I am too young to remember anyone ever using a powder holder.  Now, THAT
must have been really cool.  With all that smoke and noise.  I wonder if
you can even purchase flash powder these days or if it has been banned as
an explosive.  I am not sure but I believe the same stuff is used to make
pyrotechnic salutes like M-80's.

Interesting about the light saber flash handles.