Subject: [Leica] f/8 and be there
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 2000 06:34:13 +0000

John Coan wrote:

>How long does it take to load another sheet of film in a Speed
>Graphic?  (How "speedy" is it?)

As someone who used to carry his father's film holders for his Speed
Graphic, I can tell you: pretty quick!  I still have those holders from
the 50s and continue to use them.  My mother used to get mad at him for
streaching out the pockets of his suit coats where he would carry the
holders.

What really slowed things down, however, was not the film holders, but
changing the hot flash bulbs.  Always had to carry a handkerchef for
shooting fast.  My mother also used to get mad at my father for burning
holes in suit coat pockets with hot flash bulbs.  Those who have never
shot with such things have no idea just how hot and bright they are.

>I always admired the old news photographers with those cool cameras.  Seems
>like you either got the shot the first time, or it was gone.  Of course,
>back then celebrities actually liked to get their picture taken "Just one
>quick shot, Miss Harlow."  and they would stop and pose with a big smile.

Was just talking yesterday with someone I know who does some amount of
"premiers" in Hollywood and said that hasn't changed much because they
come to these things to "be seen."  But he flew to San Francisco last
night to stake out Sharon Stone's two homes to try to get a photo of
newly adopted child.  And that kind of invasion with a 600mm probably
won't get him a smile.

>And didn't they all wear fedoras with a card saying "Press" in the hat band?

Actually, yes.  I wish I still had that sort of stuff of my dad's.  I do
have some pix he did as photographer in Navy in WWII in South Pacific.
Imagine landing, as he did, on Guadalcanal with a speed graphic.

donal
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego