Subject: RE: [Leica] f/8 and be there
From: John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2000 17:47:34 -0400

Agree that a Rolleiflex is far from a klunker.  I have a 2.8E and find it
pretty fast if you use the sports finder and little mirror/magnifier.  I
never used a prism on a Rollei, but I imagine it would be faster
still.  What always slows me down when shooting with it though is film
changing.  I am the clumsy one moving the spool and threading the film,
especially if I don't have a table surface to work on.  Once threaded
though, the film sensing roller mechanism is quite nice and fast in getting
to frame one.

They also make great "stealth" cameras, despite their size.  People see
them and think you're playing around with a quaint antique and isn't that
cute.  The shutter is quieter than an M too.  And the number one trick of
all -- turn the body 90 degrees and look down while framing, focusing, and
shooting to the side.  It's easy to pretend you are messing with the
controls or some other such diversion.

I would like to try out one of those Speed Graphics some time.... with one
of those huge flash bulb reflectors.

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] f/8 and be there)