Subject: Re: [Leica] it DOESN'T work well for leica!
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 07:32:29 -0700

Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> I have photos taken with Noctilux (one or two on my web site) that could not
> have been taken with another lens without using flash, which would have ruined
> the photo in question. I have actually shot a wedding with my M3 and Noctilux on
> Delta 3200. Again, most of the resulting shots were made possible by this
> particular lens, as the ceremony was held in a fairly dark old town hall in the
> Netherlands. The mayor of the town (who conducted the ceremony) allowed me to
> move around freely during the ceremony and shoot whatever and whenever I wanted.
> I am quite sure that this would not have been the case had I used flash. <<<<<<<<<<<<

Hi Nathan,
You've hit the mark with, " taken with Noctilux (one or two on my web
site) that could not
> have been taken with another lens without using flash, which would have ruined the photo in question.<<<<<<<<<

This has more to do with the value of the lens than what it costs.....
it very simply allows the photographer to shoot where others fear to
tread without being a visual flashing disturbance.

A lens should never require justification if it's a tool that allows one
to take photographs, whether they are worthy of hanging on the wall or :
   As Joe says...  "but the fact remains that they are not being used in
a way that would justify the expense."  Who's expense?

That's only in his eyes and not the photographer who has caught a
fleeting moment under light conditions that he or she might not have got
otherwise in "natural light conditions."  And whether that photo makes
it to a web site or the wall of a Museum is completely irrelevant!

And it sure as hell doesn't matter if...."THEY ARE KICKING OUR ASS!"
or not. Hey, Joe they don't bother me nor have I noticed my ass being
kicked.. ;-)

Having looked at the web sight in question there are some nice images
.... "on the screen." ...... However,  I'd like to see them in real life
where  my question is, "When you read the bio's of some shooters and
what the pictures look like  ..... do you truly believe they did all
these pictures with  "Toy Cameras?"  Maybe I'm becoming old and cynical, but?

ted

Message from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] it DOESN'T work well for leica!)