Subject: Re: [Leica] it DOESN'T work well for leica!
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 08:05:22 +0200

Joe Codispoti wrote:

> Speaking for myself, I am simply saying that  the amateur photos taken by
> amateur LUG photographers could have been taken with any camera with any
> lens. I am not being critical of the snapshots , merely of the amount of
> money spent to take those snapshots.
> Obviously if those individuals can afford the high speed lenses, more power
> to them, but the fact remains that they are not being used in a way that
> would justify the expense.

I have photos taken with Noctilux (one or two on my web site) that could not
have been taken with another lens without using flash, which would have ruined
the photo in question. I have actually shot a wedding with my M3 and Noctilux on
Delta 3200. Again, most of the resulting shots were made possible by this
particular lens, as the ceremony was held in a fairly dark old town hall in the
Netherlands. The mayor of the town (who conducted the ceremony) allowed me to
move around freely during the ceremony and shoot whatever and whenever I wanted.
I am quite sure that this would not have been the case had I used flash. The
couple loved the results.

Do such experiences justify the expense of a Noctilux? For me they do, and I
happen to have the means, and that is all that counts. It is my decision and my
money.

> And while we are on the subject I would like to mention that when we see
> these photos, we are too liberal in our praise. Instead some useful, needed,
> and constructive criticism should be given.

Fully agree. I suspect that many people (myself included) are polite and if they
do not like a particular site they just do not comment, perhaps not wishing to
"embarass" another LUGger in public. The solution is of course to comment
off-line, as some people have done with my pictures.

> Are we here to brag about our newest toy or do we want to learn to take
> better photos?

Both, and a number of other reasons as well.

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium and Zurich, Switzerland
e-mail: wajsman@webshuttle.ch
General photo page: http://members.tripod.com/belgiangator
Belgium photo page: http://members.xoom.com/wajsman

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com> (Re: [Leica] it DOESN'T work well for leica!)