Subject: Re: [Leica] it DOESN'T work well for leica!
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 16:00:59 -0700

just a couple of thoughts on what threatens to become a really nasty,
possibly personal thread:

>Speaking for myself, I am simply saying that  the amateur photos taken by
>amateur LUG photographers could have been taken with any camera with any
>lens. I am not being critical of the snapshots , merely of the amount of
>money spent to take those snapshots.

why should the above matter to anybody other than the person who bought the
equipment?

>Obviously if those individuals can afford the high speed lenses, more power
>to them, but the fact remains that they are not being used in a way that
>would justify the expense.

who is to judge and according to what criteria? reminds me of what the poet
carl rakosi recently wrote: 'poetry, like the world, is overpopulated. but
who is disposable?'

>I would love to see the work of Jim Brick and other pros on this list. But
>most of all I think that we would all profit from more frank discussions of
>techniques and approaches to photography that would improve our use of the
>Leicas and lenses at our disposal.

we do have such discussions, when some one asks a question or some one
explains a useful technique. i've saved such messages and occasionally
refer to them. the archives are also filled with useful stuff that i've
learned much from.

>On June 3rd I attended a Contax seminar in Palo Alto where an instructor
>from Brooks Institute showed slides taken around the world ...I felt
>ashamed of owning Leica and  Contax and not have much to show beyond very
>sharp snapshots with "fine micro-contrast" and "the finest possible detail".
>
>Joseph Codispoti

i often feel the same way about my own work. i believe that means that i
realize i'm not doing as well as i could/should be doing. that is a
positive realization. it means you still have something to learn and you
know it. when you never feel that way, you've in for trouble!

guy

Replies: Reply from Bernard <4829.g23@g23.relcom.ru> (Re: [Leica] it DOESN'T work well for leica!)
Reply from Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net> ([Leica] lug credo proposal)
Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] it DOESN'T work well for leica!)