Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Bags
From: Doug Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 12 Jun 2000 14:01:49 -0700

On Mon, 12 June 2000, drodgers@nextlink.com wrote:

<SNIP>
> While  on the subject of accessories, how about straps? I've yet to find
> the perfect strap. I wrist straps to shoulder straps. I've been
> experimenting with various wrist straps, using mountaineering textiles from
> REI and sewing my own. I want a strap without snaps or buckles which can
> come apart at precisely the wrong time.

Dave,

There is no perfect strap.  The perfect strap could be removed from the camera as easily as a lens is changed and as you mentioned would have no snaps or buckles.

For the longer lenses with shoulder stock I use two loops of nylon webbing (from REI), connected with a Fastex buckle.  One nylon loop is over my shoulder and across my chest, the other is looped around the handgrip of the shoulder stock.  I can un-clip 'em easily, or just slide the buckle up the webbing to use the camera, then let it dangle at my side for hiking or when I need to use my hands for something else.  A strap on the camera body only gets in the way, so neither SL has a strap.

With shorter lenses (21 through 135) I'll either keep a vice-like grip on an SL or use the R4sP.  I use the R4sP less than the SLs on the Telyts so I keep a strap in it.  I think it's the original Leica strap that came with the camera.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!