Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Olympus Redux
From: "Tom Schofield" <tdschofield@email.msn.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2000 10:51:56 -0700

My experiences as a former OM owner:

My friend's 28mm 2.8 clearly had higher contrast and lower flare, visible
even in the finder, than did my older 28mm 3.5.

The 50 1.8 was nothing to write home about, but competent.  The 50 1.4
always tested better (at 3-4x the price -- remember the 50 1.8 sold for
about $50)  The 1.4 was apparently improved at one point, maybe just
coatings.

The 50 3.5 was my favorite with closest to Leica contrast of the Zuiko's I
tried.  I've never heard criticism of this lens.

The 100mm 2.8 was nice, but did not have the contrast of the 50 3.5.

The 40mm pancake lens had nice contrast, but did not do well in strong
backlighting -- veiling flare-out, and having the filter threads on the
diaphragm ring was awkward - esp. with a polarizer.

The 65-200 was OK but nothing special, optically.

Tom Schofield