Subject: [Leica] Tell Me About This Lens and Charlton Heston
From: Buzz Hausner <Buzz@marianmanor.org>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2000 07:35:23 -0400

Sounds like one of my two favorite lenses, the "Skinny" Tele-Elmarit (my
other favorite is the pre-aspheric 35 Summicron).  The Skinny T-E is a much
maligned lens, but in my opinion and experience it is wonderful.  Small,
light in weight (which are among the main reasons I lug Leicas), and quite
sharp enough for all but the most hideously critical photographers.  I
prefer to carry lenses which slip into a pocket as I abhor gadget bags and
tote the minimum kit.  There have been some reports of fungus on the rear
elements of these lenses which is a terminal disease.  However, a recent LUG
survey (check the archives) revealed that the fungus was not epidemic, at
least among subscribers.  A lens that has been fungus free since...oh...1986
should remain so.  Some people consider the Skinny T-E to be "flarey."  I
don't.

I also prefer lenses with the old clip-on lens shades which will break away
when slammed into a wall and absorb the blow.  These shades will also not
collapse on their own and are generally deeper and, in my opinion, more
effective than the stupid pull-out shades which Leica should abandon.

To quote Charlton Heston-- something I never thought I would do-- they can
have my Skinny Tele-Elmarit when, "they pry it from my cold, dead fingers!"

	Buzz Hausner