Subject: [Leica] R zoom recommendation
From: Hans-Peter.Lammerich@t-online.de (Hans-Peter.Lammerich)
Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 09:02:44 +0200

I prefer the first version of the 3.5/35-70 (with E60 filter). This is the one
designed and made by Minolta Japan. The lens has a retractable hood, is thus
only marginaly larger than a standard lens, is reasonably fast (in between the
current 4/35-70 and 2.8/35-70 apo-aspherical) and, very important for owners of
an SL/SL2, comes with three cams. At its time it certainly was one of the best
performing zoom lenses and I doubt that since then optical designers spend
noticeable efford on improving optical performance of standard zoom lenses,
rather than speed, zoom range and cost (with the exception of the latest Leica
zooms, of course). The only disadvantage is its poor close focussing capability
(1m).

After Minolta discontinued the lens arround 1990, an "optically and
mechanically" improved version was then made in Solms. I however do not believe
that Leica actually changed the optical design. So the "improvement" is limited
to a sort of cage that provides a non-rotating, larger filter thread (E67) which
makes the use of a polariser more convenient, but at the cost of more bulk and a
higher second-hand price.

With respect to the 2.8/35-70's not so exciting zoom range and speed, I have
great difficulties to justify its hefty price, weight and bulk, even though you
get impeccable optical performance wide open (what you should not expect from
Japanese "pro" zooms). I use a zoom for convenience, so weight and bulk is a
factor! I particular with the srew-in hood, even the 4/35-70 is relatively
bulky. Installing SL/SL2 cams would cost extra money and eventually may reduce
its resale value.

Hans-Peter

Replies: Reply from "Bud Cook" <budcook@attglobal.net> (Re: [Leica] R zoom recommendation)