Subject: Re: [Leica] Recommendation for Grand Canyon
From: Doug Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 5 Jun 2000 17:20:29 -0700

On Mon, 05 June 2000, "SML" wrote:

> Hello,
>
>  I am planning to take a photo tour to Grand Canyon west rim and the bottom
> of the Canyon during the Independence Day Holidays.  It is guided by Photo Adventures
> in Las Vegas in air-conditioned Expedition.
>  What lenses should I take to take good pictures of the Canyon?  M or R?  I
> wonder if the Leica RE with motor will withstand the heat there.  Any piece
> of advice will be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> David

I'd leave anything over 280mm at home, otherwise bring your entire arsenal.  On a group tour you're generally cramped for space and the big Telyts will be more trouble than they're worth.

An RE and its motor won't have any problems with the heat as long as you don't leave the camera in an enclosed car with the air conditioning off.  In a humid enviornment like south Florida you'd have trouble with condensation when you take a cool camera out of the conditioned space but the Grand Canyon should be dry enough that it won't be a problem.

Doug Herr
Sacramento
The ALL NEW CS2000 from CompuServe
 Better!  Faster! More Powerful!