Subject: Re: [Leica] Recommendation for Grand Canyon
From: Harrison Mcclary <harrison@mcclary.net>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2000 12:15:12 -0500

once upon a time SML wrote:

> I am planning to take a photo tour to Grand Canyon west rim and the bottom
> of the Canyon during the Independence Day Holidays.  It is guided by Photo
> Adventures
> in Las Vegas in air-conditioned Expedition.
> What lenses should I take to take good pictures of the Canyon?  M or R?  I
> wonder if the Leica RE with motor will withstand the heat there.  Any piece
> of advice will be appreciated.

Be sure you hike down into it...then the scale of it really hits you.  You
are not in a canyon but on a plain between mountains, or so it seems.  If
you do hike the canyon be prepared for drastic temp changes.  It is MUCH
cooler on the rim than it is down at the bottom.  and take plenty of water.
Also get out there at Sunrise, quite neat to watch as the light moves down
the canyon wall adding colors as in descends the walls.

As far as what to take...take as much as you feel comfortable carrying...Why
did you buy the stuff, to use it, sitting at home it does you NO good.  Be
sure you have a wide, middle and tele lenses at the very least...tele
meaning around a 200 so that would mean an R unless you use a Viso.

Most importantly be safe and have fun and enjoy the view.  While I was there
(About 18 years ago) I almost stepped on a Sidewinder rattle snake as I was
hiking out of the canyon...had my foot almost all the way onto its back when
I saw it and literally levitated backwards several feet almost knocking my
brother down.  Was quite an experience!  I was a crazy young fool...hiked
all the way to the bottom and out in one day, 20 something miles straight up
and down.  Carrying an old Canon F1 and 3 lenses and water.  Did not bother
me too much as I was running 5-6 miles a day back then, but my poor brother
about killed himself.
- --
Harrison McClary
http://www.mcclary.net