Subject: [Leica] RE: Suggestion for Second body
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 13:01:56 -0700

At 11:49 AM 5/28/00 -0700, Chuck Albertson wrote:
>John,
>
>The problem I've experienced with the (classic) M6 meter is that when you
>shove it into a vertical compartment in a camera bag (which is generally how
>I carry it) with the meter on, you inevitably wind up with a dead
>battery---the shutter release ends up leaning against the side of the
>compartment, and the constant pressure on it prevents the metering circuit
>from shutting down. The only safeguard against this is to set the shutter
>speed to B, or store it with the shutter uncocked. Neither is very
>convenient

I shove my Classic M6's into my bag quite often. My batteries last,
seemingly, forever. I have a soft release on both which would aggravate the
problem. But I don't have a problem. I simply got into the habit of taking
another photograph before putting the camera away. No matter where I am,
what I'm doing, what is in front of me, if the camera is cocked, I point it
somewhere and take a photograph. It is amazing how many of these
photographs turn out being keepers. Someday I'll publish a book
"Photographs to Prevent a Dead Battery" or "Photographs on the Way To the
Bag", or whatever. It works. It has worked, subconsciously, for many years.

Jim