Subject: Re: [Leica] noctilux vs. the cheap alternative
From: rnkramer@mindspring.com
Date: Thu, 25 May 2000 23:23:23 -0400

- -----Original Message-----

>From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
>Subject: Re: [Leica] noctilux vs. the cheap alternative
>
>The nice thing of shooting by available light means they look like what
>the real world is all about, natural as we see it.  And not blown away
>with, dare I say it?  "Flash!"  This in turn gives an exposure all
>right, but totally destroys the natural moment as we were motivated in
>the first place.
>
>I realize some folks can't purchase a Noctilux, but all I can say is,
>it's worth every penny to save for no matter how long it takes,
>particularly if the photographer truly enjoys shooting things by the
>light of the moment.  And is motivated by existing light.  I still like
>to say even though some folks think I'm crazy, but  "If you can see it,
>you can shoot it!"

Ted, my friend!  I think you are preaching to the choir here!   And I will
have faster lenses than my Summicron, no doubt about that.  It just ain't
gonna' happen tomorrow.  I figure by the end of the year I can afford and
can justify buying a Summilux, which will help me a lot as an additional
much needed tool to add to my bag of tricks.  But I *will* be out shooting
tomorrow, so I am looking for practical solutions that don't involve robbing
a bank!

I'll just start with a TA softie, look into some other film/developer
options, and <hiding my head in shame> on occasion whip out a flash when all
other hope is lost.  <g>  Just do whatever I have to do to keep shooting.
<shrug>  Can't stop now, blaming my bad shots on equipment I don't have.
I'm just a little frustrated becuase I lost a couple of good photo
opportunities this week that I really liked, becuase I couldn't make it work
at  1/10 sec.  My lack of skill, that's all.  I promise not to bitch about
my tools any more.

Bob Kramer
Atlanta, GA

Replies: Reply from Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com> ([Leica] WAS-noctilux vs. the cheap NOW: choir preaching)