Subject: [Leica] Ireland, Republic of
From: Christer Almqvist <christer@almqvist.net>
Date: Wed, 24 May 2000 20:55:34 +0100

Very recently I went around all of Ireland for a good week and have just
gotten back. I took a lot of photos of people in the street and there were
only three instances when somebody objected. Twice it was not really an
objection, the persons just wanted to make sure their friends got into the
picture too, or  they wanted to start up long conversations. This is the
major problem with street photography in Ireland; they take your making a
photo of them as a good way of starting up a never ending conversation with
you.... Otherwise it is a street photographer's paradise, they actually
like being photographed.

I visited at least a dozen photo shops looking for Paterson's FX 39
developer. None had it, but this may be because of the Irish's slight
aversion against anything British. I was not impressed by the shops in any
other respect either, poor selection of b+w films and they were very
expensive. One shop had a few Leica and some lenses including a Nocitlux.

One evening I was spotted by a local Leica owner, and the following evening
I spotted him although he was using a non-Leica lens.

Food was not very good, but it was quite expensive. I wonder if the food is
bad because the beer is good or if the beer is good becasue the food is
bad. When looking for rooms in smaller towns I made a point of asking to
see the room before deciding on taking it, and that proved to be wise on
several occassions. There is no correlation between price and quality of
accomodation in smaller towns. Pubs often offer accomodation, and I found
that if I liked the pub, then the rooms were OK too. The Bridge Hotel in
Arklow is a good example of this. Beware of the so-called 'best' restaurant
in Arklow and the restaurant in the Limerick Ryan Hotel

In Dublin I would recommend Bloom's  Hotel which is good value and
centrally located for everything, particularly pubs with entertainment.

- --
Christer Almqvist
D-20255 Hamburg, Germany and/or
F-50590 Regnéville-sur-Mer, France