Subject: Re: [Leica] NYC impressions
From: Bmceowen@aol.com
Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 19:24:33 EDT

In a message dated 5/20/00 11:52:54 AM, mstoesz@wyoming.com writes:

<< Bob:  Where are you located?  I am in a small town also.  Is anybody doing
"street photography" in small town and rural America?

I live in Jefferson City, Missouri (pop. 35,000) but my "beat" is all of
rural Missouri --- I work for a publication called, ready for this, Rural
Missouri. It's put out by the rural electric cooperatives as a vehicle to
slip in propaganda, er, I mean information vital to the members from time to
time. Our job is to keep it entertaining so the members read it each month.
It's primarily feature stories. We do two "spreads" each month (each a
two-tabloid-size-page story with about 5-6 photos each) plus 3-4 single page
stories that typically have just one or two photos each. It's almost always
good news type stories (we focus on solutions rather than problems). We do a
lot of personality profiles about people with (we hope) interesting hobbies,
jobs, etc. As for "street photography" you need to understand that electric
co-ops used to be limited to serving towns with less than 1,500 population so
our "streets" are just as likely to be gravel roads . . .

Bob (hey, is that your cow in the "street"?) McEowen