Subject: Re: [Leica] Scanning & editing in Linux
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 19:49:48 -02-30

At 02:28 PM 19/05/00 -0700, you wrote:

>The scariest issue in this change: scanning (LS2000)
>and editing in Linux. I know Adobe Photoshop does not
>yet have a Linux version, but there must be some eccentrics
>on this list who do everything in Linux -- sorry that
>this is off-topic, but the LUG seems the best place to ask.

Here's the trick if you have enough ram and processing power.
It's the only piece of Linux software you'll have to spend a few dollars on.

http://www.VMWare.com/

It will run Windows and windows apps in a shell as a "virtual" computer.
....and because it is working under the control of Linux you have stable
operating system.

Full specs and requirements are on the website but I'll recommend the
following minimums for running Linux, VMWare, NT4.0 and Photoshop....

Pentium 266 or better (or equivalent using the Intel instruction set.)
128 megs of RAM (256 would make life easy)
6 gig hard drive.
16 meg video card

I've used MAC and Windows for a long time but once I used Silicon Graphics
and Linux I realized what crap has been foisted on the public. I still need
MAC and Windows to be compatible with clients production needs but my
server is Linux and pretty well all my programming or personal work gets
done on Linux.

By the way, there are Linux drivers available for Nikon scanners also.
It is just a matter of time before The Gimp or other Linux graphics
programs will have scanner interface.

Linux is an amazing world.

Greg Locke                         St. John's, Newfoundland
locke@straylight.ca              http://www.straylight.ca/locke
Touched By Fire: doctors without borders in a third world crisis.
http://www.straylight.ca/touchedbyfire.htm
ISBN#0-7710-5305-3 McClelland & Stewart