Subject: Re: [Leica] velvia vs. provia
From: Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 21:09:52 -02-30

At 07:02 PM 16/05/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Greetings,
>a trip to the local photo shop today to buy some Velvia turned into a sales
>pitch for me to purchase Provia instead. Silly salesman, he swore by Provia,
>but I ended up buying neither, until further consultation. I formerly used
>Kodachrome (which I still do) but I need faster processing turnaround.
>Having used neither Velvia or Provia, could some LUGgers here who've used
>both give me the lowdown on what works best.
>Thanks, Dave

Hi Dave  (how's it going?)

         The Velvia will give you results closer to your beloved Kodachrome.
The Provia (I recommend the new F version if you can get it) is very fine
grain but not as saturated as Velvia.... which makes it better for "people"
and photojournalism. Shadows do not block up and flesh tones don't become
muddy.

         If you are doing people, go for the Provia. It's my first choice
for about %75 percent of my work. Not that websites tell you much but just
about all of the photos on my websites were shot with Fujichrome 100 in one
form or another.

have fun,

Greg Locke
St. John's, Newfoundland
locke@straylight.ca ---- http://www.straylight.ca ---- Tel: 709-576-2297
"Visual Communication For a Digital World."