Subject: [Leica] Re: velvia vs. provia
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 17:11:21 -0700

Works best for what?

Different films, best for different subjects.

Velvia is super saturated, intolerant of underexposure, produces Fuji green
like no other film, marvelous landscapes, urban scapes, etcscapes where
vivid color, sharpness, good contrast are required. I use Velvia nearly
exclusively for tripod chrome work. 35mm, 120/220, and 4x5 .

Provia is a mild Velvia at ISO 100 instead of 40. Less saturation, more
tolerant of exposure variances, whites are cleaner, skin is truer, etc. For
35mm handheld photography, I prefer Fuji MS 100/1000 at 200. My Fuji rep
says that Provia F at 200 will be even better. He gave some to me but I
haven't tried it yet.

Jim

Replies: Reply from "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: velvia vs. provia)