Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: velvia vs. provia
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2000 23:33:12 -0700

At 10:41 PM -0500 5/16/00, Harrison Mcclary wrote:
>once upon a time Jim Brick wrote:
>
>> Provia is a mild Velvia at ISO 100 instead of 40. Less saturation, more
>> tolerant of exposure variances, whites are cleaner, skin is truer, etc. For
>> 35mm handheld photography, I prefer Fuji MS 100/1000 at 200. My Fuji rep
>> says that Provia F at 200 will be even better. He gave some to me but I
>> haven't tried it yet.
>
>And even better are the new Kodak E100 films, 100SW, 100VS and 100S.  I tend
>to shoot mostly 100SW and 100VS.  Velvia is just way too contrasty for my
>tastes and I have shot untold thousands of rolls of Velvia over the last 6
>years...the magazine company I worked for only shot velvia...finally just
>before I quit I got them to start shooting some Kodak films.
>
>I really like those new Kodak chromes and the new Portra ain't bad either.

I really dislike those 'me too' posts, but I can't pass this up:

ME TOO

Velvia has no toe. It's very contrasty in the first place, and then there
is no detail in the blacks whatsoever. On the other hand, it handles
highlights well. That's why people shoot it at the same EI as Kodachrome
25, which handles shadows beautifully, but can't stand overexposure. If you
shot a contrasty scene  using the same camera settings with both Velvia and
Kodachrome 25, there would be shadow areas that would show a lot better on
Kodachrome, in spite of the fact that it is an ISO 25 film vs. 50 for
Velvia.

I find the new Kodak film a great compromise between realism, reasonable
toes and shoulders, choice of greater color saturation or more subdued
tones, and warmer and cooler films all with the same speed and generally, a
compatible look. I don't like Provia and Velvia together; in fact Velvia
does not do well with any other film in my estimation.

For negative film, I use nearly only Portra now, except for some Konica
Impresa for the sharpest and some Fuji NHGII for the fastest with decent
quality.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com