Subject: [Leica] Quality of current photographers knowledge: was: Nikon f5 etc.
From: Mike Stoesz <mstoesz@wyoming.com>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 06:05:22 -0600

Michael, I agree completely.
I have been involved in photography since the mid-1950's and currently run a
photolab operation in a small university town.  The skills shown by the photography
students finishing the basic photography and photojournalism classes is MINIMAL.
Many apply to me for jobs and most cannot answer simple questions about
photographic theory or control.  Many do not know the difference between Kodachrome
or Kodacolor.  When asked to estimate the correct exposure of a scene by looking at
it out the window, most cannot get within 2 exposure values of the correct
exposure.  They are running on automatic and do not have a clue about how
photography functions.   If I need an employee, I go to the High School and find a
student that has had the HS photography course AND has had the 4-H photography
program training.   These are the kids that know how it works.

Off my soapbox for now,

Best wishes to all, Mike