Subject: Re: [Leica] Thanks!! OT Nikon F5
From: "M.E.Berube - GoodPhotos" <meb@goodphotos.com>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 23:34:42 -0400

Simon,

You make a good point. When the situation calls for AF/AEverything and
there is positively no other way to get the shot otherwise, go for it.

BUT someone here a few days ago, mentioned the dumbing down of Photography
in the last 20 years. Now, I'm just a kid 33 years of age and have only
been 'shooting for dollars' about 15 of those years, but I agree that all
of these 'modern conveniences' made available to practitioners of our Craft
are dumbing us down over all. As I said above, if you need the AF/AE by all
means use it, but I think it important to the integrity of the
professional, that we as photographers know how to function without the
technologies assistance. (Just as important as knowing how to prepare a 13
column report for your boss by hand if the PC gets attacked by the next I
L0VE Y0U virus. To borrow on your example.) We need to have the basics down
on how to manipulate light using our choices of light source, focal length,
aperture, shutter speed, film, composition and how these effect the
exposure onto the film in our light tight boxes. More importantly we need
to practice these skills regularly in order for them to remain second
nature for us. If we can have an AF/AE camera for when we need it and still
maintain our competency of these skills, by all means we are worth every
penny we can get.

I can't of course speak for all photographers, but personally, I know that
I am lazy enough that IF I had all of the amenities of these
poly-carbonate, eye movement focused, gyro-stabilised, 3D Matrix metered,
technocameras at my disposal, I would shortly come to find that EVERY
situation required their use, (as most of us have done with now having a
light meter in our cameras.) Eventually I would no longer be able to create
photographs without their "assistance." In this respect, I don't think that
I'm all that much MORE lazy than the average "pro." It is not my intent to
sound a like a purist snob, (if it works for you, do it) but if I allowed
myself to rely on one of these cameras to this extent, I would no longer
consider myself a photographer, I would consider myself simply a camera
operator.

I recently needed a change from the SLRs that I've always used. I wanted
the best quality photographic equipment that I could afford and still
maintain my own skills (that I will likely never perfect though I continue
to try) so, I started looking. The Leica (back on topic!) marketing wonks
sold ME when they put into words the philosophy that I've always sought in
a camera "Technical gadgetry is purposely limited to those features that
truly contribute towards creating a better picture. With the Leica...it is
always the photographer who controls the medium and not vice versa." After
reading that, it was only a matter of saving my pennies.

You might have a wider angle (with greater DOF) and I might even be a bit
out of focus, but that's the view from my finder. ;-)

Carpe Lumen,
Michael

Replies: Reply from Mike Stoesz <mstoesz@wyoming.com> ([Leica] Quality of current photographers knowledge: was: Nikon f5 etc.)