Subject: Re: [Leica] I took the plunge and ordered M6
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 08:15:20 +0200

Hi John,

>  I have a feeling
> I'm going to like the cron -C because of its very light weight (225 grams).
> Nothing like front pants pocket carry, I always say.

I think once you see the optical quality of the Summicron, you will decide to carry
the extra 100 grams and a bit of additional bulk.

> I've read everything I can get my hands on about on the Web about straps (no
> velcro for me), cases (not one of those either), bags (will get one soon), and
> hand grips (will probably get one.)

The hand grip for the Leica M is for me an indispensable accessory. It makes
handling much nicer, and particularly if your bag is configured such that your
camera stands upright on its side, the grip is a real godsend.

> 1.  Both my Leica lenses have the maximum aperture indicated with a click stop,
> where the diaphram blade are slightly closed.  You can turn the ring just a wee
> bit more.  Do people do this to eek out a little more light, or is it frowned
> upon as introducing all sorts of nasty image characteristics?

All my M lenses do this too, but I would refrain from trying to use this phantom
f-stop.

> 2.  Both my lenses have a little tab on the focusing ring to grab.  Is this
> common practice to use the tab, or simply grasp the ring in the traditional
> left thumb and forefinger manner?

The focusing tab is very convenient and most people swear by it, to the extent of
trying to glue or otherwise install one on lenses which do not have it.

> 3.  Anyone have experience using a Metz 40mz-3 with the 3501 SCA module with
> this camera?  Realizing that the flash will weigh more than the camera and lens
> put together and it sort of defeats the purpose of a small camera, for shots
> needing supplental lighting I figure it's a cheap investment since I already
> use the Metz system with my Contax medium format outfit.

I am assuming that you plan to use flash on the M only on rare occasions; in that
case, carrying around a big Metz may not be the best option. I would suggest buying
the Leica SF-20 flash; it is not much bigger than a pack of cigarettes (well, maybe
100s) and it will take advantage of the TTL facility of your M6 without needing a
SCA adapter.

> 4.  The ceremonial first roll of film.  I figure on using one of the saturated
> ISO 100 E-6 films.  perhaps Ektachrome VS or Provia F.  Comments?

Definitely slow slide film, but maybe your should use one that aims at more
realistic color rendition than E100VS; for example one of the other E100 or just
regular Provia.

Happy testing!

Nathan
- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium and Zurich, Switzerland
e-mail: wajsman@webshuttle.ch
General photo page: http://members.tripod.com/belgiangator
Belgium photo page: http://members.xoom.com/wajsman

Message from John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu> ([Leica] I took the plunge and ordered M6)