Subject: [Leica] I took the plunge and ordered M6
From: John Coan <jcoan@alumni.duke.edu>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 23:09:24 -0400

I ordered a new M6 over the weekend, after looking at all the dealers and
finding one that offered a discount for the 3 year passport (boy, are they
strictly controlled!).  I bought a 35 Summicron asph on ebay and have it in
now, and kept the 40/2.0 Summicron-C that came with my CL.  So, I'll have two
similar lenses to start with.  One that is fairly small and compact, and the
other that is very tiny but brings up the wrong frame lines.  I have a feeling
I'm going to like the cron -C because of its very light weight (225 grams).
Nothing like front pants pocket carry, I always say.

I've read everything I can get my hands on about on the Web about straps (no
velcro for me), cases (not one of those either), bags (will get one soon), and
hand grips (will probably get one.)

I'm a 35 year 47 year old amateur, having used Nikon 35 mm's and an assortment
of minis (Minox, Rollei 35S and 35SE, Yashica T4, Ricoh GR1s), and have used
Rollei TLR's extensively and the new Contax 645 in medium format.  So, I am
used to good glass.  I wonder just what I will discover with the 35 'cron asph
as compared to the above?

Some mundane questions for which I beg the list's collective indulgence:

1.  Both my Leica lenses have the maximum aperture indicated with a click stop,
where the diaphram blade are slightly closed.  You can turn the ring just a wee
bit more.  Do people do this to eek out a little more light, or is it frowned
upon as introducing all sorts of nasty image characteristics?

2.  Both my lenses have a little tab on the focusing ring to grab.  Is this
common practice to use the tab, or simply grasp the ring in the traditional
left thumb and forefinger manner?

3.  Anyone have experience using a Metz 40mz-3 with the 3501 SCA module with
this camera?  Realizing that the flash will weigh more than the camera and lens
put together and it sort of defeats the purpose of a small camera, for shots
needing supplental lighting I figure it's a cheap investment since I already
use the Metz system with my Contax medium format outfit.

4.  The ceremonial first roll of film.  I figure on using one of the saturated
ISO 100 E-6 films.  perhaps Ektachrome VS or Provia F.  Comments?

Any other comments would be appreciated and taken to heart.

John

Replies: Reply from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] I took the plunge and ordered M6)
Reply from Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au> (Re: [Leica] I took the plunge and ordered M6)