Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux viewfinder blocking
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 15:54:18 +0200

Art,

If you have access to the relevant equipment, you can convince yourself that for
anything under 50mm the rangefinder is far better. Focusing my 19mm Elmarit R on
either the SL or the R8 is such a pain in the neck that most of the time I just
estimate the distance. On the other hand, focusing the 24mm Elmarit M on my M6
is pure joy, as is focusing the Noctilux on my M3.

Nathan

Peterson Arthur G NSSC wrote:

> I don't know, and so can only presume John is right, that the "M rangefinder
> is more accurate than a SLR at 50mm."  But my question is this: given the
> fact that with an SLR one is actually looking through the lens at (almost
> always) full aperture, does it not then stand to reason that an SLR would be
> able to focus any lens, of whatever focal length and whatever maximum
> aperture, with sufficient accuracy for that particular lens?  I'm not being
> argumentative, just asking what seems like a reasonable question.
>
> Art Peterson
> Alexandria, Virginia

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium and Zurich, Switzerland
e-mail: wajsman@webshuttle.ch
General photo page: http://members.tripod.com/belgiangator
Belgium photo page: http://members.xoom.com/wajsman