Subject: Re: [Leica] Follow focusing (WAS: Thanks!! OT Nikon F5)
From: Simon Lamb <s_lamb@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 14 May 2000 23:58:47 +0100

Harrison

snip:  if you are doing this focus lock thing then know
when to engage it and such...one question on the focus lock...if shooting a
rapidly erratically moving subject as a football player how do you know
where to lock focus to?

As with any top level SLR you can focus lock using a focus lock button or simply set
focus and switch to manual mode so that the AF ceases to continuously focus.  Then,
as you say, swing to the pre-focussed area and there is your shot.

I was talking about the F5 function called Focus Lock-On.  This means that if you
are panning a moving object, the camera will know the focussing distance because the
D-type lens will tell the camera what it is, then if an ancillary subject crosses
the field of view (or you pan across an intermediate object) the AF will not
re-focus on the object that just entered the field of view but stay with the
original subject.  So, if you are tracking a person walking down the street and a
bus passes through the viewfinder it will appear blurred because the F5 will not
focus on it.  When the bus leaves the field of vision the original subject will
still be in focus (or so close that the AF will nail it within a few milliseconds).

Thanks for the info on your scanning set-up.  The max res on the Coolscan is 2700,
is the Sprint Scan higher?

Simon

Replies: Reply from Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au> (Re: [Leica] Follow focusing (WAS: Thanks!! OT Nikon F5))