Subject: Re: [Leica] Follow focusing (WAS: Thanks!! OT Nikon F5)
From: Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 12:32:01 +1000

Simon Lamb wrote:

> I was talking about the F5 function called Focus Lock-On.  This means that if you
> are panning a moving object, the camera will know the focussing distance because the
> D-type lens will tell the camera what it is, then if an ancillary subject crosses
> the field of view (or you pan across an intermediate object) the AF will not
> re-focus on the object that just entered the field of view but stay with the
> original subject.  So, if you are tracking a person walking down the street and a
> bus passes through the viewfinder it will appear blurred because the F5 will not
> focus on it.  When the bus leaves the field of vision the original subject will
> still be in focus (or so close that the AF will nail it within a few milliseconds).

Hi Simon.

With your F5, in a sports situation such as soccer, for how long does
your focus lock stay locked on? Mine attempts to focus on the invading
player without much of a delay - couple of milliseconds. The focus lock
does work, but for me, only when the intervening player is just a flash
in the viewfinder.  A bus getting in the way would certainly cause a
refocussing, on the bus.  Unless it was a Formula 1 bus, driven by
Shoe-Maker (oblig. Leica content).

Regards

Rick Dykstra

Message from Simon Lamb <s_lamb@compuserve.com> (Re: [Leica] Follow focusing (WAS: Thanks!! OT Nikon F5))