Subject: Re: [Leica] Which lense?
From: "Roger L. Bunting" <rlbunting@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 18:03:57 -0500

Steve,

The 50mm summicron is legendary and as all leica lenses operates
supurbly at full f2.0 aperature. I would not personally choose the f2.8
lens over the f2.0 lens. The latest summicron as others have pointed out
excells at resolution and bokeh. For the way I shoot, the f2.8 would
only be a choice where no other larger aperture was available (e.g
24mm).

On the other hand, the 35mm lens feels normal to me on a Leica - so much
so that I have moved all my other photographic lens choices to center
around that focal length. The 35mm f2.0 lens would then be my choice for
a all around lens. The comparison of the 35mm f1.4 and 35mm f2.0 newer
aspheric lenses have been compared here almost daily for the last
several years. You might want to look back in the archives if you are
interested in more material.

If you are really concerned about compactness and the 35mm lens was of
interest, the 35mm f2.0 pre-aspheric (the last version before the
aspheric model) is a very compact lens also and track the later models
in resolution from about f4.0 through the highest apertures - the
pre-aspheric versions are a little softer than the aspheric version at
f2.0 and 3.5 - some older models show some light vingeting at the lower
aperatures also. All that said, there are some of us Leica users that
find this performance pleasing.

The Leica excells as a unobtrusive photographic instrument. I've found
that people allow me into their space more when I'm shooting with the
Leica (over my SLR). I think it's because it doesn't whirrrr and clickkk
and clank. That extra intrusion into personal space makes the 35mm lens
a better choice for me (over the 50mm focal length).

However, since you are returning to photography after the time off, you
may find a little more distance between you and the subject more
comfortable. Given that, my preference would be to weigh in on the 50mm
choice. In fact that sort of tracks my long term experience with
photography. More years of experience, equate to more comfort in
relating to and photographing people and result in shorter working
distances.

Anyway, as always take this with a large grain of salt... it's my
experince.. your choice. It's great to be able to consider the Leica...

Enjoy and welcome to the list.

Roger