Subject: [Leica] Close Focus Leica 1a
From: Jem Kime <jem.kime@cwcom.net>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 20:36:18 +0100

Folks,
the camera for which I enquired about vulcanite is an early 1a with the
close focus lens.
In all the books I've read there is scant information about this variant.
Both Hasbroek, and Lager make only a cursory reference to it and Laney
ignores it altogether. Glanfield/Wright write, (after lens focus variants;
c:) 'apparently only in feet, probably only for the UK market, common
1927-30 version'.
Mine is an 'imperial' version with the scale in feet, which is the same
type as seen in both books illustrations. Has anyone seen one marked in
meters?
Mine is 38872, though I saw another one advertised on ebay recently at
57139. Hasbroek shows 7932 and an even earlier one (number not shown) and
Lager shows 32487. Viewfinder 24/1 p24 cites #17457 again in feet

Any further info would be much appreciated.
Jem