Subject: Re: [Leica] a question regarding the R3
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 22:49:36 -0400

Fernando Martins jotted down the following:

> is there any other screwmount lenses worth getting?

It depends upon what your expectations are.  If you think that getting LTM
glass is a cheap way of getting Leica glass and are hoping to get the look
of the modern ASPH and pre-ASPH lenses, you're going to be bitterly
disappointed.

However, if you love the look of 35mm photography from the 1930's, 1940's
and early 1950's, then you'll be delighted.  Yes, contrast is typically
lower, spherical abberations and flare typically higher, but as long as you
know about this and know how to use it to your advantage, then why not play
around with some LTM glass?

Good buys include the 50mm f/3.5 Elmar and 90mm f/4 Elmar.  The 50mm is
particularly interesting when it's uncoated: There is little in the way of
shadow or highlight detail, but the mid-tones are to die for.  Absolutely
fabulous.  Use with a yellow filter, Ilford Pan F, and develop in Rodinal
1:100.  Then go out pretending you're HCB or Eisenstadt and have fun!

Coated versions of the lenses have more detail in shadows and highlights.
The red-scale 50mm f/3.5 Elmar is particularly sought after (and commands a
premium price) because of it's great optical qualities.  It's also a
magnificently small package on an LTM.  Fits in a shirt pocket (just don't
bend over!)

You'll need a separate VF on the old Leica LTMs (except the IIIg) for
anything but the 50mm lenses.  Personally, I find that the tiny VF for the
50mm is perfect: it forces you to take pictures with strong compositional
structure.  The good pictures I get from the LTM are often better than the
good pictures I get from my M cameras, at least with the 50.  I often think
it's because of that small VF.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     | Armored with good intentions and
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       | ignorance, one is impregnable to
email: howard.390@osu.edu         | learning.

Replies: Reply from "Fernando Martins" <fer@caleida.pt> (Re: [Leica] a question regarding the R3)