Subject: Re: [Leica] a question regarding the R3
From: "Fernando Martins" <fer@caleida.pt>
Date: Wed, 10 May 2000 23:19:29 +0100

From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>

> If you are a Nikon shooter who wants to get into rangefinders, a Leica R
> system is NOT what you are looking for. All you will be doing is trading one
> reflex for another. Yes, you will get Leica glass. But that's only a small
> part of what makes an M an M. Far more important is the fact that it is a
> rangefinder camera, a compact, quiet, unobtrusive little box with which you
> view the world through a picture window with frame lines. Using it is
> philosophically/artistically, different from using an SLR. There are lots of
> ways to get into rangefinders without buying an M - a screw mount Leica, a
> screwmount Canon, a Russian copy, etc. You'd be better off with any of these
> than with an R, if what you want is the rangefinder world.

thanks. I think you're right. I already entered (sort of) in the world of
rangefinders (with non-interchangeble lenses). I have 5 Yashicas and
4 Canons. I love the Canonet GIII QL17, I carry it always with me,
and the lens does allow me to take some very good looking pictures.

maybe I'll buy a Russian copy... where you referring to a Canon with
M mount? does that exist? or is it screw mount?

best regards,

Fernando Martins
Systems Administrator
fer@caleida.pt