Subject: Re: [Leica] Disassemble a DR-Summicron
From: "Mike Durling" <durling@widomaker.com>
Date: Thu, 4 May 2000 20:04:22 -0400

I have a non-DR Summicron of the same vintage.  The ring with the two
notches that holds the rear lens group in unscrews.  You need a spanner
wrench to push against both notches at the same time.  If you use a
screwdriver or even if you aren't careful with the spanner you can slip and
gouge the rear element.

20+ years ago I faced the decision of cleaning the internal fog or replacing
the lens.  The replacement was for a good price.  I decided I didn't have
much to lose.  When I got it apart I tried a lot of things without luck but
finally found that household ammonia out of the bottle got rid of the fog.

Now it seems to have returned and the ammonia trick doesn't work.
Fortunately it is not as bad and only shows up on scenes of extreme
contrast.

I can't say for sure that the ammonia hasn't etched the element.  In
retrospect I wish I had gotten it professionally cleaned and will probably
do so in the near future.  Its an extraordinarily sharp lens!

Mike Durling
KD4KWB
http://www.widomaker.com/~durling/