Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Pornography?
From: "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 08:58:59 -0700

In most states, commercial film processors are "mandated reporters" of
suspected child abuse/child pornography (as are teachers and medical
personnel). This means that they are required to immediately report even the
suspicion of child abuse and are shielded from civil law suits for doing so.
Failure to report can lead to criminal charges being filed against the
mandated reporter. Attempting to dissuade an employee from reporting can
also subject the employer of a mandated reporter to criminal penalties. The
intent of the various state legislatures in passing such statutes is that no
one should be afraid to report even a suspicion of child abuse and that
those in certain professions are in special positions for spotting the signs
of child abuse.

If the photos in question are really of small children in the bath tub, the
problem is with the prosecutor/child protective services agency  who decided
to file charges. I have a hard time believing that such shots would survive
their first appearance before a judge.

Note that I'm not taking a position on the above laws - just reporting them.
The case described here sounds like one in which we definately need more
information.

Bryan