Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Hasselbald vs. Leica
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 10:35:00 -0700

ARTHURWG@aol.com wrote:

> Anyone familiar with the Hasselblad lists will know that Hassies have much
> more trouble-- right out of the box-- than Leicas or just about any other
> camera. They jam easily, lock up and otherwise give lots o' trouble.  If you
> want a reliable Hasselblad, buy a 903 SWC.

I've used an ELM for 20 years and a CM for Seven which I bought used for $500,
three lenses.
The system being modular and not a tightly sealed unit it is more high
maintenance than most 35mm cameras. Any medium format "system" is going to
require higher maintenance. But there has to be a reason why it dominates many
forms of photography from the cover of Cosmo to AA's Halfdome. Reliability is
not an issue although I seldom don't bring both bodies to a critical shoot..
Everything I've every gotten from Victor has worked out of the box. I have seven
backs of all types and five finders. Last night when I found out I had some
money coming in I found myself dreaming about a 250 Sonnar- To match my 135 F3.4
APO-Telyt-M! This was the lens that shot AA's Halfdome although is was the C
lens no doubt. My Hasselblad system is my basic tools for my continued attempts
at making aliving in Photography, the last to go. The Polaroid back has a lot to
do with it. Once they nod their head at your Polaroid you are as good as paid.
Mark Rabiner