Subject: Re: [Leica] making contact prints
From: Johnny Deadman <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 13:08:09 +0100

on 19/4/00 12:08 PM, Andrew Moore at moore@rscs.net wrote:

> I usually don't make contact sheets from my (OT: Leica)
> 35 mm negatives because I simply don't have a way of
> doing it with good results.  I'd like to start making contact
> sheets now.  Is there any equipment or techniques that
> would really help here, particularly for holding a set of
> negative strips (4 frames per) aligned and flat while the
> exposure is made?

Simple is best!! Take one strip of your regular negatives and do a test for
the minimum exposure that gives you maximum black through the clear
(unexposed) part of the negative. This is your contact printing time: stick
to it like glue!! As for the rest, all you need is a clean glass plate and
some photographic paper. Sometimes I use one of those Paterson contact
printing frames, but you really don't need anything to align the negs...
they make life more difficult. Just put the negs on the paper in straight
lines, put the glass on the negs (clean it regularly) and expose for your
contact-printing time as established above.

Of course, if you have underexposed or overexposed it will show up instantly
if you have proofed for maximum black correctly. Nothing like proper contact
sheet technique to make you aware of your exposure deficiencies. You are
seeing your negatives for what they are... most instructive. Sometimes if
you have grossly misjudged exposure you will need to do a second exposure
just to see what's on the neg... but nowadays that hardly ever happens to
me.

Mind you, I gave up contact sheets when I bought a filmscanner. As a result
I have about 200 rolls which I would now like to contact print for
reference/editing purposes. Anyone know a good assistant in London who'd
like a couple of days' work and has access to a darkroom?

- --
Johnny Deadman

photos:      http://www.pinkheadedbug.com
music:       http://www.jukebox.demon.co.uk