Subject: RE: [Leica] Advice for a New M6 TTL Owner
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 05:59:50 -0400

There is really only one thing to do at this point: get me to a store and
see for myself what's what.  Unfortunately, the only store in town
(Baltimore) that carries Leica has just the .85 and a Tri-Elmar in stock.
. . .
Thanks for your input.  I'm also happy to hear my anticipated lens
progression confirmed by an experienced M user.

	--> 1/ Congratulation$ ! You're about to get your money's worth.

	--> 2/ I'd like to throw my little stone in your pond:
		-- why not a 35mm right now as standard lens ?
		-- why not consider the Tri-Elmar ?
	Either way, you've made a Leica decision and it will only
	grow on you. I tend to be very much wide-angle oriented
	and I truly prefer such visual dynamics; to me a 50mm
	borders on telephoto. I'm convinced the 35mm focal length
	is ideal for 90% of photo situations (even if I use 28mm )
	for most photographers.
	I also tend to think 35mm (and 28mm) photo shoots
	yield higher rates of interesting images, relative to
	50mm shots.
	IF it is withing your budget's reach, perhaps should you
	look into the Tri-Elmar. Not that many people use it,
	but, street photo wise, I'm convinced it's one unique
	option that's likely to be even more exiting if you factor
	in its stellar optics and flexibility. Perhaps can it be had
	for a decent price if you consider the demo unit at your
	dealer's (as some dealers may prefer to rotate their demos)?

	I'm convinced you'll rave about whatever model you end up
	buying. A f/2 Summicron 50 - M definitely represents quite
	a level of technical merit and creative freedom.

	--> 3/ If you don't like flash photography (I'm resistant to it too),
	it may be, as for me, that you haven't had the opportunity
	to try out fully a really good flash with bounce and TTL
	capabilities. Yes, I agree, there is something magical about
	natural available light photography when done with taste,
	but don't corner yourself: newer electronic flash systems
	have reached a point that they command some respect and
	consideration.
	My point being: go for the TTL model as it is VERY likely
	that the next generation Leica flash, perhaps simply a more
	intricate model, will be more than a "mom & pop" birthday
	party "family flash" and deliver more flexibility,
	more "creative" potential and fully justify the TTL decision
	down the road.

	--> I'll always leave a final decision with you, but I'd like
	to emphasize the beauty of chrome-on-chrome Leica stuff,
	even if I prefer black for a more "low-key" impression,
	especially in street photography. The weight difference
	really is negligible. BUT it's your party !

	--> Oh NO-o-o-o ! Another Black and White freak !    ;+)~

	I hope you decide to check out yourself what you Leica lens(es)
	can do with films like Kodachrome 64 or Fuji Reala ...
	or high speed color (ISO 800+ like Fuji Super G, NHG II
	or Kodak PMZ, Royal 1000, and such). You may get to use color
	more often and enjoy your new camera system even more.
	Or go wild and go Ektachrome 100 VS or treat yourself
	to a few rolls of "classic" Ektachrome 64 Pro (still available
	overseas and as import). It's springtime, you know...

	Best regards,

	Andre Jean Quintal