Subject: [Leica] Help me mat & frame?
From: George Hartzell <hartzell@cs.berkeley.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 22:44:04 -0700 (PDT)

You know what they say, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.  I
took a one day mat-ing (not mate-ing...) course a while back and am
starting to package up some of my stuff myself.  The instructor gave
us some opinions about materials and I'd like to find out what fellow
LUGers use for your prints.

Here's an easy one.  Acid free materials.  B&W prints get buffered
mats, color (chromogenic) get non-buffered.

So, call the mat in the front the window mat.  What material do you
use to hinge the window mat to the thing behind it?  I've used a tape
called Filmoplast 90 and/or a linen tape w/ a water activated
adhesive.

How do you like to hang the photo.  We played with corners (prefab and
home made) and "tape T's".  I've found that I like the tape T trick so
far.

What do you attach the photo to?  We used pieces of the same material
we were using for the window mats.  I've also hinged the window mat to
foam core and attached the photo to that, but it felt slightly
blasphemous.

What do you put in front of the picture?  Glass or acrylic.  If you
use acrylic, do you have trouble with it scratching?

Do you have any mailorder or bulk suppliers that you like?  I've
ordered some stuff from Light Impressions,

        http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com.

and had a pleasant experience.

Any other advice?

g.