Subject: Re: [Leica] Help me mat & frame?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 07:50:15 -0700

George Hartzell wrote:

> You know what they say, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.  I
> took a one day mat-ing (not mate-ing...) course a while back and am
> starting to package up some of my stuff myself.  The instructor gave
> us some opinions about materials and I'd like to find out what fellow
> LUGers use for your prints.
>
> Here's an easy one.  Acid free materials.  B&W prints get buffered
> mats, color (chromogenic) get non-buffered.
>
> So, call the mat in the front the window mat.  What material do you
> use to hinge the window mat to the thing behind it?  I've used a tape
> called Filmoplast 90 and/or a linen tape w/ a water activated
> adhesive.
>
> How do you like to hang the photo.  We played with corners (prefab and
> home made) and "tape T's".  I've found that I like the tape T trick so
> far.
>
> What do you attach the photo to?  We used pieces of the same material
> we were using for the window mats.  I've also hinged the window mat to
> foam core and attached the photo to that, but it felt slightly
> blasphemous.
>
> What do you put in front of the picture?  Glass or acrylic.  If you
> use acrylic, do you have trouble with it scratching?
>
> Do you have any mailorder or bulk suppliers that you like?  I've
> ordered some stuff from Light Impressions,
>
>         http://www.lightimpressionsdirect.com.
>
> and had a pleasant experience.
>
> Any other advice?
>
> g.
George
And they had you sign the print and with what? I use a pencil, not ink like I
just saw in the Martine Frank show.
I like black metal frames but wood is sometimes elegant.
Your teacher above  has you do it just like I do it and I use the light
impressions people as a main source for stuff as well as info.
Many people here will still swear by dry mounting and signing a mat. Things
change but not always people.
Mark Rabiner