Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Colour film
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 12:36:18 -0400

Brougham jotted down the following:

> Why do you want an SLR for color?  Just curious.

It's more a function of type and subject matter, than a function of the
camera type itself.  I was indistinct in my earlier message.

I use the M cameras to take pictures of people and places, trying to
approximate the classic photojournalistic style.  To me, such pictures work
better as B&W, mainly because I find it hard to do in colour, but partly
because I simply equate B&W photographs with the genre -- and I have no
desire to break out of the genre (in fact, rather the opposite! ;)

The SLR, however, I intend to use for macro and tele work.  Here the subject
matter is product shots (for eBay, for example), cityscapes just after
sundown (during the "blue hour") or landscape/nature work.  At least the
former has to be in colour, while the other two can be effective in B&W too.
But, I'd like to shoot those subjects predominantly with colour stock.

Finally, and this is the least well articulated reason, I feel that there is
something about the way in which you compose and arrange the world through
the two different types of viewfinder (M vs. R) that lends itself to B&W and
colour photography respectively.

Call me quirky.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     | Armored with good intentions and
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       | ignorance, one is impregnable to
email: howard.390@osu.edu         | learning.