Subject: RE: [Leica] OT: Re: Interesting SCAM
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 09:48:32 -0400

> > What would you say if I borowed your camera for 30 days, raised cash
with
> > it from the pawnshop, made some big bucks with the proceeds, then
redeemed
> > your camera and gave it back to you in the same condition?

> As long as you had followed my terms, I'd feel like you were
> a good businessman and I'd have nothing to complain about
> (yes, I would also feel a little surprised).

You really believe that?  Either you are saying that just to be
argumentative or you have no sense of responsibility.  When someone lends
you something, it is assumed they are lending it TO YOU.  If you are then
going to lend it to someone else, that is completely irresponsible.

> If I don't want you doing that sort of thing, I could build it into
> the terms with one sentence: the return privilege applies only
> if the camera does not function as described.

Just because something isn't stated, it is implied and generally understood
that the condition of return is reasonable.  I believe using it in place of
renting equipment, or trying to sell it, and wanting a return because you
are done with it, or it didn't sell, is unreasonable (aside from being
dishonest, in my opinion, lying by omission), and abusive of trust.  I
believe those two conditions, if they are applicable, should be stated up
front.

I really can't believe anyone believes this is acceptable behavior...no one
I am friends with would ever consider doing such a thing.  I guess I am
just more careful picking friends with a decent value system.