Subject: Re: [Leica] Natchwey interview
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 12:48:08 -0400

Dan Post jotted down the following:

> Perhaps we need more photojournalist out there who can show us how the world
> really is [...]

While I agree with a great many things in your message, I don't believe that
anyone can ever "show how the world really is".  It is all a matter of
selective perception.  Natchwey is showing us *one* aspect of the world as
he has perceived it, one which is all too often conveniently forgotten, but
it is no more or less real than what is shown on ESPN.  Yes, the
consequences are different;  yes, you can argue about importance (although I
contend that that is essentially a social construct too), but it is
impossible to definitively nail down Reality, doubly so where human affairs
are concerned, and triply so when selected, interpreted, and communicated by
someone else.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     | Armored with good intentions and
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       | ignorance, one is impregnable to
email: howard.390@osu.edu         | learning.