Subject: Re: [Leica] B & W Paper - solved
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 12:54:00 -0700

"Mueller, Rob" wrote:

> For those who were folowing the thread about Forte paper and selenium
> toning. I solved my problem over the weekend. Instead of using a single
> Rapid Fix for two minutes (insert your favorite Fix Brand, mine was Ilford
> Multigrade 1+5)I used a two Fix bath system. one minute in one tray, one
> minute in a second tray. No more rosy background (of high key images) after
> selenium toning. I don't know why this works because the fix was not
> exhausted (according to edwal G fix tester drops), but it sure turned yellow
> quick.
>
> I also switched to Forte Pro Factor One developer. I had used the Ilford
> multigrade dev. for about a year (after using Dektol for almost 10 years),
> loved the convenience of the liquid developer, but just wasn't satisfied
> with the way things looked. But for my negs and Forte paper, the Zonal pro
> dev. matches very well and the speed of the paper didn't change from the
> Ilford. That saves me about two months of work right there.
>
> Rob Mueller

I'd never tone anything without a second fix. It's like the toning itself is a
test for how lousy your fixing is. Makes you appreciate the two fix method. It's
also 4 times more economical you can make 40 prints per liter the two bath way
only 10 per liter the one bath way as I just read on the darkroom newsgroup; and
I believe it too!
Mark Rabiner