Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: eBay
From: Kip Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 12:22:22 -0500

I'd like to second Jeff's thoughts here.  The little Hove book of Leica
accessories is very useful (nay, indispensable) but doesn't really convey what a
lot of this stuff really looks like.  Well done ebay listings can be an education
for those of us who don't have a lifetime's experience with the minutiae of Leica
bits and pieces, or even of the history of the various bodies and lenses.  And it
only requires the usual dose of skepticism to avoid being swept away by purple
prose.

Without ebay I would never have really understood what the SOOPD (folding lens
hood for a Summitar) was all about, nor would I have known a good deal on one
(when it came along on ebay) and been able to snap it up, thereby creating a need
for a Summitar lens (which doesn't show up very often in the cases of local
stores) which ebay also thoughtfully provided, but which works on my M6 only with
the proper adapter which also showed up on ebay in short order.  Of course, the
Summitar really works best on one of the old LTM bodies, so now I'm scanning ebay
for . . .

Like Jeff said, it's a lot of fun.

Cheers,
Kip