Subject: Re: [Leica] enlarger or scanner?
From: Mikiro <arbos@silva.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Apr 2000 13:50:47 +0200

At 11:07 AM +0200 00.4.15, Pascal wrote:
snip
>And one other point that hasn't been discussed on this issue yet, but which
>is also of much importance, is this: how long will your investment in a
>digital workflow (computer/slidescanner/printer) last in comparison to a
>decent darkroom equipment? Every two years on average you have a new
>generation of digital devices that dramatically increases performance
>(especially scanners and photo printers). Your ultimate cost will be a lot
>higher compared to darkroom equipment, if you consider the investments over
>a longer timeframe.
>
>Pascal
>NO ARCHIVE

This is a very important point for amateurs because amateurs do not earn
money using the equipment.  I keep myself away from buying a digital camera
and inkjet printer until a time when performance is more or less saturated
at least for several years but am not sure whether it will come.  More
unpleasant is a fact that when you upgrade your digital equipment to a newer
generation your old stuff is worth next to nothing.  I myself have upgraded
some Leica gear with very little loss of investment.  Older equipment
retains its own appeal and value.  Is it possible in the digital world???

Cheers,