Subject: Re: [Leica] Is the Noctilux for night photograpy?
From: Mikiro <arbos@silva.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 12:53:08 +0200

At 9:50 AM +0200 00.4.16, Johnny Deadman wrote:
>> How well will the Noctilux perform at 5.6? Will it better or worse than
>> a 50 mm 1.4 summilux?
>
>What's the point of using a Noct @ 5.6? There's no advantage over any other
>lens. Or maybe the Leica cops come and drag you away if you shoot after dark
>with anything else.
>--
>Johnny Deadman

Johnny, I often use a Nocti stopped down to f2.8-f5.6.  Its character is
unique in that it keeps good contrast and little flare while extreme details
are a bit obscured.  Also, a Nocti is designed to have warmer colour
balance.  This character was not available with my Summitar or earlier
Summicrons.  The current Summicron and Elmar are just very very sharp.  I
like it in some situations such as portrait or snapshots in old towns.

Cheers,